May 27, 2010

Eastern Creek - World Time Attack Challenge



This past weekend I took the Rebel down to Sydney to fly at Eastern Creek Raceway.
The weather getting to Sydney was challenging with storms and rain.  I ended up diverting to Cessnock for more petrol and to check the weather.  When I arrived at Richmond, there was a storm over one end of the airfield!



Luckily, the weather was fine the next morning for the actual display.  The track is in a bowl with very large power lines running through it - this made for an interesting display flight.  A lot of fun!  Being close to Sydney airspace and Bankstown, CASA required a ground observer to clear me into the site and also coordinate with local ATC.  Stuart Hutchison took care of this, and things ran exactly to plan.  Thanks mate!

After the display I landed back at Richmond and then took a helicopter ride back to the track.  A couple of hours later the helo took me back to Richmond.  The only way to travel - thanks Mark!

The Superlap Challenge was a great success, my congratulations to Ian and the other organizers!